Nearly all 130 potential jurors for the trial of a 68-year-old Matinicus lobsterman, accused of shooting another lobsterman last July, said they were aware of the incident. The trial is also for the accused lobsterman’s 45-year-old daughter.

And a third of those jurors told the presiding judge that their knowledge would make it difficult to be impartial in the case.

Those were some of the results from jury selection held March 1 in Knox County Superior Court for the pending trial of Edwin Vance Bunker and his daughter Janan K. Miller. The trial is scheduled to begin Monday, March 8. The two will be tried together although the cases are separate and different verdicts could be rendered.

Jury selection took about four hours.

Bunker is charged with two counts of elevated aggravated assault, criminal threatening and reckless conduct. Miller is charged with reckless conduct.

Only eight of the potential jurors said they had not heard of the shooting that occurred July 20 on a dock on Matinicus and that may have stemmed from a dispute over lobstering. Thirty-six people said they could not be impartial in their deliberations if they were selected as jurors.

Thirteen members of the jury pool were either lobstermen or had spouses who were lobstermen.

The shooting was the most violent of the disputes in the industry that occurred in 2009, a year in which lobstermen in Knox County saw their incomes fall by 18 percent from 2008.

Bunker and Miller and their attorneys faced the jury pool during the selection process March 1. District Attorney Geoffrey Rushlau will prosecute the case. Bunker is represented by attorney Philip Cohen of Waldoboro.

The man Bunker is accused of shooting and wounding seriously — Christopher L. Young, 42, of Owls Head — pleaded guilty Feb. 22 to criminal trespass for going aboard Bunker’s boat on the morning of the shooting. Young was fined $500.

Bunker claimed in court documents filed last year that Young got on his boat, swore at him, grabbed him and then tried to take him down. Bunker pepper sprayed Young twice after Young refused to get off his boat, Bunker said in the affidavit. Young left after the second pepper spraying.

Bunker has claimed he shot Young to defend his daughter during an altercation on a wharf on the island that occurred later that day.

In an affidavit filed last year by Young, he stated that he and Weston Ames were on a wharf on Matinicus Island on the morning of July 20. Alan Miller approached the dock on his lobsterboat, which also carried Maine Marine Patrol Officer Wes Dean. When the boat tied up at the dock, Ames and Young called for the officer to talk to them.

At about the same time, Bunker appeared at the wharf in his pickup truck, according to Young. Bunker got out of the truck and approached Ames and Young.

Also at the same time, Bunker’s daughter appeared from behind a stack of lobster traps on the dock on the opposite side of the two men. She was armed with a shotgun, the Young affidavit states, and leveled it at both Ames and Young.

Young claims that Bunker and both Janan and Alan Miller had coordinated their actions to trap Ames and Young on the dock.

Ames asked Janan Miller not to point the gun at him and when she did not stop, he pushed the barrel away from both himself and Young. She then pointed it back at him and he took both hands trying to push the barrel away from their direction.

Young said that neither he nor Ames had threatened or touched Janan Miller or Bunker in any way.

Bunker then drew a handgun from his holster, aimed the gun at Ames and fired a shot that missed.

Bunker then turned, again took deliberate aim and shot him in the neck, Young said.

The Maine Marine Patrol officer emerged from the cabin of the boat and climbed on the dock with his weapon and ordered everyone to get down.

In Bunker’s version of the events, he said after Young accosted him on his vessel, Bunker immediately went ashore and to his residence to call the Maine Marine Patrol about the attack against him.

Bunker said his wife then contacted him to say she had received a radio call from Miller, who said Young and Ames were chasing Miller in his boat, trying to run him into the ledges.

Bunker, who has fished for lobster off Matinicus Island for more than 50 years, said when he got to the dock and got out of his truck he heard hollering and got his gun, which he had put in the truck earlier in the day for protection. He said as he approached the area he saw his daughter and Wes Ames struggling over a shotgun. Bunker said he also saw Chris Young approaching her and threatening her. He said he fired a shot over their heads to make everyone stop.

“Immediately after I fired the first shot, Chris Young lunged at Janan and myself,” Bunker said in his statement last year. “In fear of what Chris Young and Wes Ames would do to myself and/or my daughter, I felt I had no choice but to fire my gun at Chris Young.”

Bunker and Miller have pleaded not guilty.

Young and his wife have filed a civil lawsuit against Bunker that seeks more than $4 million in damages.

In that civil lawsuit, a judge agreed to have the parties try to resolve the case through an alternative dispute resolution process. If that fails, there could eventually be a civil trial, also in Knox County Superior Court.