A Warren home was a total loss after a fire Feb. 22, according to Fire Chief Ed Grinnell Jr.

Firefighter Charles Mansfield suffered minor smoke inhalation at the scene and was taken to Penobscot Bay Medical Center in Rockport, according to the fire chief. Grinnell said the firefighter was all right and was later released from the hospital.

The fire started when a Jeep, parked in an attached carport, caught fire due to electrical problems and the fire spread to the house, according to Christle Ward. Christle and her husband, John Ward, are owners of the home located on Middle Road.

Christle Ward was alone and escaped unharmed. One of the family dogs, a Rottweiler, has been missing since the fire, and is believed to have escaped.

Crews from Warren, Union and Waldoboro were at the scene. The fire was reported at about 1 p.m. Firefighters worked at the scene for about five hours.

Christle Ward said she tried to put the fire in the Jeep out, but couldn’t. Grinnell said there was a delay in Ward calling the fire department because she first tried to put the fire out and then went to a neighbor’s house to call for help.

Fire crews drew water to battle the blaze from a farm pond at a neighboring property. A boat near the home survived the blaze, the fire chief said.

Grinnell said the house had to be torn down with an excavator borrowed from Emery’s Construction.

He said the fire is still under investigation, though the fire department knows it started with the Jeep.