The Rockland City Council on Feb. 10 gratefully accepted a plaque donated by a Rockland couple that commemorates a high point in the city’s seafaring history.

The council accepted at its Feb. 10 meeting the plaque donated by Anita and Tony DiNapoli. The bronze plaque was commissioned in 1939 by the Women’s Educational Club of Rockland for Red Jacket Day.

The plaque was located for more than 50 years at the Crockett Block on Main Street by the intersection of Warren Street. The Red Jacket, one of the most famous clipper ships, was built on the waterfront just south of where the Crockett Block was located.

The DiNapolis were the last owners of the Crockett Block, which housed Jordan’s Market and Italian Restaurant. The building was destroyed by fire in December 1994.

The Rockland Historical Society will co-sponsor a program about the Red Jacket by Ben Fuller, curator of the Penobscot Marine Museum of Searsport, on Saturday, Feb. 27 at 1:30 p.m. in the Friendship Room of the Rockland Public Library. Fuller has written articles about the Red Jacket, which set the record for fastest time across the Atlantic Ocean by a sailing vessel.

The Red Jacket was completed in 1853 at a shipyard owned by Deacon George Thomas. The vessel was so large that its bowsprit extended over Main Street in Rockland.

In 1854, the Red Jacket crossed the Atlantic, reaching Liverpool, England, in 12 days. The Red jacket was sold to the White Star Line, future owners of the Titanic, and was used largely to carry emigrants from Liverpool to Melbourne, Australia. The Red jacket was wrecked in a storm off Madeira in Portugal in 1885.

The public is invited to the Feb. 27 program at the library.