Thelma B. Parsons, 93, died Feb. 7, 2010, at Glenridge Nursing Home in Augusta.

Born in Millinocket on Nov. 15, 1917, she was the daughter of John and Mable Gildart Brown.

She married George B. Parsons on July 17, 1946, in Newcastle. He died in 1980.

Thelma graduated from Stearns High School in 1936. She attended Presque Isle Normal School and obtained a degree in 1941. She later attended the University of Maine and received a bachelor’s degree in education in 1968. Thelma was active and was a charter member of Nu Sorority. She was initiated on Nov. 1, 1958. She held the offices of recording secretary and corresponding secretary. She was chairwoman of the Finance Committee, as well as a Nominations Committee member. Thelma was involved in the Clara Soule Fund as a member and chairwoman. She served on the Founders’ Day committee.

Thelma taught second grade at South School in Rockland for many years. She retired from SAD 5 in June 1974.

She served as president of the Rockland Teacher’s Club, South School PTA, Rockland Women’s Club and the Rockland Emblem Club.

In her spare time, she enjoyed flower arranging and collecting dishes. Her favorite hobby was following the horse races in which her horse, Johnny Gallon, was an extremely successful racehorse.

She enjoyed shopping, especially at Reny’s, and going out to lunch. She attended the Thomaston Baptist Church.

Thelma was predeceased by her husband; three brothers, Perley Brown, Robert Brown and Ralph Brown; and a sister, Frances Mouckerezi.

She is survived by her brother, John Brown; and her sister, Elsie Simpson, both of Millinocket.

Interment will be in Woodbine Cemetery in Ellsworth.

Arrangements are with the Burpee, Carpenter & Hutchins Funeral Home in Rockland.