The Feb. 7 stabbing of a Warren man may have been the result of the homeowner’s refusal to provide a guest with more beer.

Ryan Kelly, 33, of South Thomaston was arrested Feb. 8 by Knox County Sheriff’s Office Detective Dwight Burtis. Kelly turned himself in and was booked at the jail and then released on $1,000 cash bail.

Kelly was charged with Class B aggravated assault in connection with the stabbing of 33-year-old Jeremy Socobasin. Socobasin was taken Feb. 7 by ambulance to Penobscot Bay Medical Center in Rockport and then flown by a LifeFlight helicopter to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor.

He was listed Feb. 8 in good condition.

The incident occurred at Socobasin’s home at 394 Beechwood St. in Warren.

According to an affidavit filed by the sheriff’s office in Knox County Superior Court, the stabbing occurred over a dispute about beer.

Deputy Matt Elwell reported that he received a call shortly before 4 a.m. on Feb. 7 about a fight and a stabbing at the Beechwood Street residence. Upon arrival, he found four people inside a van parked in the driveway and a man, later identified as Kelly, sitting outside in the driveway.

Inside the residence was Socobasin, who was sitting in a kitchen chair with his clothes soaked in blood. Socobasin told the deputy that a man who had come over to his home — along with four other people Socobasin knew — had stabbed him, the affidavit said. Socobasin said the man, whom he did not know, had asked for more beer but Socobasin said no because he had given him enough.

A fight then broke out in the driveway. Socobasin told the deputy that he was on the ground and felt himself being stabbed with something but he didn’t know what was used.

The four people in the van confirmed Socobasin’s description of the sequence of events, according to the affidavit. They also did not see what was used in the stabbing.

The deputy spoke with Kelly, who said Socobasin started the fight because he thought Kelly was making moves on a girl he was interested in. Kelly said the two were fighting in the driveway with Socobasin on top. Kelly said he grabbed a stick and started poking Socobasin, adding that he had no choice because he was being punched.

Kelly was taken to Penobscot Bay Medical Center and treated for a possible broken nose, according to the affidavit.

The affidavit states that the investigator went to Penobscot Bay Medical Center and that Socobasin was being prepared for transfer to Eastern Maine Medical Center because of the deep slashes to his body.

Deputy Matt Elwell, Sgt. Jacob Boyington and Thomaston Police Officer Michael Blais responded. Blais was the first officer at the scene.