The storm that blew in with ferocity Jan. 25 deposited approximately 2.5 inches of soaking rain and whipped winds up to 45 mph.

“It was howling at my house,” said Ray Sisk, director of the Knox County Emergency Management Agency. That agency is based in Rockland and coordinates county emergency response when a disaster extends beyond the normal mutual aid boundaries of the affected communities.

Generally, reported rainfall amounts from the Jan. 25 storm ranged from 1.03 inches in Rockland to 2.3 inches in Camden and 2.4 inches in Rockport. Farther west, in Appleton, Union and Hope, the rainfall measured 2.5 inches. And there was at least one rumor of rainfall reaching 3.5 inches.

One automated Rockland spotter station belonging to the National Weather Service reported a wind gust of 41 mph between 7 and 9 p.m. on Jan. 25.

On Monhegan, a telephone antenna dish blew off a tower, leaving citizens there talking by radio or satellite telephone with the mainland.

“Communication is a little limited there,” said Sisk.

Municipal police officers, Knox County Sheriff’s Office deputies and Maine State Police were out the night of Jan. 25, responding to reports of flooded roads, stranded vehicles and branches on wires. Public works crews were also out clearing drains and culverts that filled rapidly as the rain pelted down, and fire departments responded to various storm-related emergencies, including flooded basements that needed pumping out.

“It is a proactive thing they do to help alleviate property damage,” said Sisk. “No one wants a flooded boiler.”

In Appleton, three spots along Route 131 forced closure of the road and volunteers with the fire department were out with shovels, digging drains through the snowbanks to alleviate the runoff onto the pavement.

In Hope, portions of Route 235 became clogged with rocks and snow that rolled down off Hatchet Mountain. A portion of Route 105 also flooded, just past the Hope Fire Station.

On Jan. 26, Union reported approximately $7,000 to $8,000 worth of road damage, much of it related to deteriorated shoulders due to the heavy, coursing water.

“Whenever you have that kind of terrain and frozen ground, the water wants to go somewhere,” said Sisk.

Power outages affected a good portion of the Midcoast, including Rockland and Rockport on Jan. 25 in the afternoon, leaving Penobscot Bay Medical Center to resort to generator power for a short time. Lincolnville was left without power that night for about four hours.

On Jan. 26 the misery was not over, despite the clearing skies. Fire departments were still tending to flooded basements and by late in the day, Central Maine Power crews were mopping up the last of the Midcoast power outages in Appleton and Hope.

“The only town that hadn’t had a call to pump a basement was Friendship,” said Sisk.

The storm that blew in Jan. 25 blew out toward the Maritimes the next morning. Some spots in Maine and New Hampshire experienced almost 4 inches of rain, the weather service reported. The warm air, pushing 50 degrees Fahrenheit, quickly melted a vast amount of snow.