One year ago, 2009

From the headlines: Knox County strip-search case heads to trial. Jury selection began in U.S. District Court in Portland in Laurie Tardiff’s case against Knox County and an unidentified female correctional officer. The case was filed Jan. 31, 2007.

LifeFlight of Maine and the Maine Snowmobile Association formed a partnership to establish landing zones along the main trail system and educate snowmobile clubs across the state on developing a comprehensive rescue plan. EMS providers were also recognized as an integral part of any rescue plan.

The Rockland City Council voted unanimously Jan. 12 to ask the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency to designate Rockland as a port of entry that could handle foreign passenger vessels.

Five years ago, 2005

A headline read: Knox County house prices highest in state. The average price for a house from Sept. 1 through Nov. 30 reached $240,000, according to the Maine Real Estate Information System. This was an 11.4 percent increase from the same period a year earlier.

Rockport selectmen gave their blessing to the police chief’s request to buy a drug-sniffing dog. The dog, Boomer, was bought with money seized in a drug raid. He was assigned to Officer Danielle Littlefield.

The MBNA Foundation in Maine presented a check for $250,000 to the Capital Campaign for the Knox Center for Long-Term Care in Rockland.

The Sennebec Lake Campground in Appleton had a new owner. Robert Billings of Falmouth retired after working for Delta Airlines in Portland and purchased the campground.

10 years ago, 2000

Camden-Rockport High School senior Megan Cressler was given the game ball following a victory over Rockland as a memento of her breaking the 1,000 point scoring barrier. Cressler became the first girl in school history to achieve the basketball feat.

New telephone poles on High Street in Lincolnville were nixed.

U.S. Sen. Susan Collins told members of the Rockland Rotary Club that health care and education reform were top priorities, but the national debt and problems with Social Security loomed ominously for the future.

25 years ago, 1985

A gift of 33 works of art was given by sculptor Louise Nevelson and her friend and assistant Diana MacKown to the William A. Farnsworth Library and Art Museum. The gift, including three sculptures by Nevelson, was the largest the artist had made to the museum.

A former employee sued the Camden Yacht Club for $1.3 million. William S. Linnell of South Portland, a former steward at the Camden Yacht Club, filed a suit in Cumberland County Superior Court against the club, former Commodore Dana H. Barnes Jr. and the treasurer, Frank G. Akers. Linnell claimed in the suit that he was harassed, discriminated against and subsequently fired for reporting wage and overtime violations to the Maine Department of Labor, after having his complaints ignored by Barnes and Akers.

After about 17 years, the class of 1986 at Camden-Rockport High School was to make what used to be a traditional trip to Washington, D.C. Maine School Administrative District 28 directors voted to approve the trip for the class of 1986.

50 years ago, 1960

Allen Payson was elected fire chief for the 34th straight year by the Atlantic Engine Co. Payson had been a fireman since 1917.

A headline read: More telephones in U.S. than rest of the world. As an added fact, New England’s telephones far outnumbered those in all South America.

Thanks to the formation of the Knox County Mutual Aid Pact, any major fire in the area would get the assistance of 30 engine companies and four ladder units and crews. This was the news Rockland Fire Chief Wesley Knight told an audience of business and professional people.

100 years ago, 1910

With a record of 75 vessels designed and 56 built, John J. Wardwell of Rockland was believed to be the champion wooden ship designer and builder of the Atlantic seaboard if not of the United States.

In Friendship the Ladies Aid held its annual sale of aprons and fancy articles and cleared $45.

A new 58 hour law was enacted for women and children in Maine cotton mills. Before the law workers went to work a quarter of an hour before sunrise and labored until 7:30 p.m. with half an hour each for breakfast and dinner.