The parents of an 18-year-old Whitefield man who was shot and killed by a Waldoboro police officer in September 2007, following a traffic stop and a struggle, have filed a lawsuit against the town of Waldoboro, the officer, the police chief and the town manager.

Natalie and Millard Jackson of Whitefield, who are the parents and personal representatives of the estate of Gregori S. Jackson, filed the lawsuit originally in September in Lincoln County Superior Court but it has since been moved to the federal court system.

Gregori Jackson died of gunshot wounds in the woods off Route 220 in Waldoboro where Officer Zachary Curtis had chased the 18-year-old. Curtis had stopped the vehicle in which Jackson was a passenger after the vehicle veered over the center line shortly after 2 a.m. on Sept. 23, according to police.

During the traffic stop, Curtis determined that Jackson had violated bail conditions on prior operating under the influence and failure to stop for an officer charges, police said. The violation was that Jackson had been drinking.

When Curtis tried to arrest Jackson, the youth resisted and was pepper sprayed by the officer. Jackson ran down the road and then into the woods, pursued by Curtis.

The officer claimed that at that point Jackson resisted arrest and the teen struck Curtis with a log. The officer further claimed that Jackson got on top of the officer, was trying to choke the officer and then put his hand on the officer’s gun.

Curtis said he drew his service weapon and shot Jackson multiple times. The youth died at the scene of the shooting.

The Maine Attorney General’s Office concluded in November 2007 that the shooting was legally justified.

The lawsuit, however, claims that Jackson had no weapon and had been struck multiple times by the officer who used an expandable metal baton. The officer then shot Jackson five times, which resulted in wounds to Jackson’s back, chest and head.

The lawsuit claims that Jackson’s death was caused by the officer’s complete or deliberate indifference to the teen’s constitutional rights.

The parents also claim in their lawsuit that the town of Waldoboro, the police chief and the town manager are liable for not properly supervising the training and conduct of the officer.

The parents are represented by attorneys Leonard Sharon of Auburn and Bruce Merrill of Portland.

In the town’s response — filed by attorney Edward Benjamin of Portland — the town admits that the officer struck Jackson twice in the leg with a baton but only after Jackson had struck Curtis with a log. And in the response, the town and its officials claim the officer fired his gun only after being choked and after Jackson went for the officer’s gun.

Named as defendants are the town, Curtis, Police Chief William Labombarde and Town Manager William Post.

Curtis resigned from the police force in November, Post said Jan. 5.

The federal lawsuit was filed Jan. 4.