A fire heavily damaged a workshop on Vinalhaven Wednesday afternoon.

There were no injuries.

The fire started near a wood stove in the workshop at 15 Ingerson St. owned by Roger Hussey, said Vinalhaven Fire Chief Marc Candage.

The fire department received the call shortly before 3 p.m. and when crews arrived there were flames shooting out the front of the 14-by-20-foot building, the chief said. The fire was out within 15 minutes but there was heavy fire and smoke damage, he said.

Crews stayed there for about two hours. The building contained common workshop items, the chief said, such as tools and equipment.