William Treby Johnson II, 79, died Dec. 13, 2009, at Maine General Medical Center in Augusta.

He was born Sept. 11, 1930, in Waterville, the son of Dorothy (Daly) Johnson and William Treby Johnson.

On Oct. 11, 1952, he married Anne Plummer of Monmouth, who died on May 31, 1999.

On March 15, 2003, he married Arline (Bosse) Foster, who grew up in Lewiston.

Treby was educated at Cony High School, Governor Dummer Academy in Byfield, Mass., and Bowdoin College. He also studied Maine real estate law at the University of Maine and became a certified business consultant.

He served in the Army National Guard from 1948 to 1953 and was honorably discharged as a staff sergeant.

Treby was a Registered Maine Guide for more than 50 years and an enthusiastic hunter in his pre-business days.

After leaving college, Treby owned and operated the Brunswick Gas Service Co. in Brunswick. In 1954 he purchased Stone & Cooper Fuel Co. in Augusta, which he ran until 1984 when he sold it to Webber Energy and retired.

Treby bought oceanfront property in 1964 in Port Clyde, where he had a house built in the early 1970s, spent his summers and lived in retirement before reluctantly moving back to Augusta in 2008.

Treby was active in community service in Augusta and Port Clyde. He was president, chief executive officer and chairman of the board of First Consumers Bank. He also was a member of the Augusta Jaycees, the Augusta Rotary Club, the Depositors Trust Co. advisory board, and on the board of directors for the Kennebec Valley Chamber of Commerce, the Kennebec Valley YMCA, Augusta General Hospital, Augusta Savings Bank, Maine Savings Bank and One Bank Corp. of Portland.

He also served on boards of the Maine Oil Dealers Association, the New England Fuel Institute of Waltham, Mass., Exxon Oil Company’s East Coast Council and the U.S. States Small Business Administration.

He was chairman of the Augusta Parking District, the Augusta Planning Board and the Marshall Point Lighthouse Committee. He was a member of the St. George Municipal Facilities Committee, the St. George Youth and Scouting Council and the Marshall Point Landing Association board. He was the St. George deputy harbor master and a trustee and treasurer of the Herring Gut Learning Center. Also, he was active on numerous charitable drives.

Treby was selected as the Outstanding Oil Dealer of the Year by the Maine Oil Dealers Association, as Outstanding Man of the Year by the Kennebec Valley Chamber of Commerce, and for Le Club Calumet’s Annual Citizen Award, all in 1980. He also was elected as an honorary member of the Le Club Calumet, which he valued highly.

Treby leaves a loving family, including his wife, Arline; a son, William Treby III and his companion, Carolyn Ely; a son, Thomas and his wife, Karen, and their children, Isaac and Allison; a daughter, Jane Moore and her husband, Chris, and their children, Paul and Jackson; a son, Peter and his wife, Nancy, and their children, Kate and Lindsay; a stepdaughter, Karen Knuth and her husband, Michael, and their children, Benjamin, Jared and Isabel; a stepson, Matthew Foster and his wife, Terri, and their children, Jacqueline, Ryan and Brandon; stepson, Stephen Foster and his wife, Deborah, and their children, Jennifer and Ashley; a sister, Dorothy (Timi) Johnson, of Montgomery, N.Y., and her children, Kham Phan, Kham Phaeng and Khammee; and a brother, Frank Johnson and his wife, Jeanette, of Maryland, and their three children, Cathy, Barry and Jim.

In lieu of flowers, to honor Treby, his family would appreciate gifts to charitable organizations, including his most recent interest, the Kennebec Historical Society, P.O. Box 5582, Augusta, ME 04332, or the Ocean View Grange Fuel Assistance Program, P.O. Box 204, Port Clyde, ME 04855.

At Treby’s request there are no visiting hours. A  memorial service will be held Friday, Dec. 18 at 11 a.m. at St. Mary of the  Assumption Catholic Church in Augusta. A reception will be held immediately after the service at Le Club Calumet, 334 West River Road in Augusta. There is another memorial service being planned for Port Clyde to coincide with his request to have some of his ashes scattered off the shores of Port Clyde next spring.