Warren Historical Society celebrates 30 years
Warren — On Tuesday, Nov.6 at 7 p.m. at the Dr. Campbell House and Museum the public is welcome to attend a night of celebration and an antiques show and tell program. Everyone is encouraged to bring an item and to be the antiques expert when presenting the antique in this informal setting.
Refreshments will be served to mark the 30th year that the Warren Historical Society has been fortunate to house its collection in the historic Dr. Campbell House at 225 Main St. in Warren village.
The Dr. Fred Campbell House was built in 1849 by Dr. Abiel Kennedy who practiced medicine in Warren. The next owner was a prominent merchant and a state senator the Honorable Edwin Smith Jr. Then George Walker and his wife Belle resided in the house from 1895-1914. Walker was the superintendent of the Georges River Mills later known in town as the Woolen Mill. Their daughter Grace married Fred Glover Campbell in 1914 and they purchased the house from her parents. Unfortunately, in 1919 the original barn burned down. Dr. Campbell was the town's only physician and early on he charged 50 cents for an office visit in the house, $1 for a house call in Warren and $1.50 for a call outside of Warren. In 1931 he became physician for the Maine State Prison. Dr. Campbell outlived all of his family members and died in 1982 at the age of 98. At the urging of his good friend, Edwin Kalloch Boggs, he bequeathed his house to the Warren Historical Society that was organized in 1964. Since 1982, extensive repairs and redecorations have been done, much with volunteer labor and with financial support from the Dr. Campbell Trust.
The Warren Historical Society is pleased to invite the public to its Nov. 6 meeting to tour the house, share memories of Dr. Campbell or the early days of the Warren Historical Society as it celebrates 30 years in the home.
For more information, call 273-3145 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.