Union home gutted by fire

By Beth Birmingham | Dec 23, 2013
Photo by: Beth Birmingham

Union — Firefighters from six towns worked in ice storm conditions Dec. 23 to extinguish a blaze that gutted a home on Davis Road.

An investigation by State Fire Marshalls Dec. 24 was inconclusive, according to Fire Marshall Ken Grimes.

"We are hoping to get an exact cause as time allows," said Grimes Dec. 26.

The fire was reported to be fully involved when Union and Hope firefighters arrived on the scene at about 4:45 p.m.

The home at 503 Davis Road is owned by Wendy and George Pizzillo. George, who has heart problems, was taken to the hospital. He and one of four children who live at the residents were home at the time the fire broke out, said Union Fire Chief Kevin Soule.

Firefighters from Union, Washington, Warren, Appleton, Rockport and Hope responded to the mutual aid call, while Waldoboro units went to the Union Fire Station for coverage.

"It was a tremendous effort by the mutual aid companies," said Soule. "We have done a lot of training."

It took more than an hour to extinguish the blaze that was contained to the kitchen and living room. "The house suffered heavy heat and smoke damage," said Soule.

The effort was made more difficult by pouring rain and low-hanging branches of trees due to the ice storm that has gripped the Midcoast since Dec. 22.

Courier Publications reporter Beth A. Birmingham can be reached at 594-4401 ext. 125 or via email at bbirmingham@courierpublicationsllc.com.

 

Wendy Pizzillo gets a hug of support on the scene of a structure fire that engulfed her home on Davis Road in Union Dec. 23. Five towns responded to the blaze. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
Firefighters step over the snow and ice after getting new air tanks on the scene of a fire on Davis Road in Union Dec. 23. Emergency crews from multiple towns responded to the fire. Owner Wendy Pizzillo, family and friends watch the firefighters do their job. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
Firefighters from five area towns battled icing conditions as they responded to this blaze at 503 Davis Road in Union Dec. 23. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
Comments (2)
Posted by: Alicia E Niles | Dec 24, 2013 12:31

Wendy and George if you need anything please let me know...This is so sad.



Posted by: RUTH ROWLING MAXFIELD | Dec 24, 2013 12:13

Thank the good Lord there were no injuries!!!  Our hearts are with the family - as well as our prayers.  To all the fire depts. involved . . GOOD JOB!!



If you wish to comment, please login.

Staff Profile

Beth Birmingham
Staff Reporter
594-4401 ext. 125
Email Me

Beth rejoined Courier Publications' news staff in February 2013. She previously worked at The Courier-Gazette from 1981 to 1990.

Her coverage area includes Warren, Union, Friendship, Waldoboro, Washington, and Thomaston and RSU40.

Beth has a passion for photography, and a degree from the University of Maine at Augusta, in affiliation with the Maine Photographic Workshop in Rockport.

Aside from photography, Beth enjoys running and walks along the waterfront, as well as other outdoor activities. She has a daughter, Claire, who is 13.

Recent Stories by Beth Birmingham