Tips for driving on slippery roads
Roads still a little treacherous after the near blizzard? Use these safety tips when you have to drive:
- Keep a well-stocked winter emergency kit. It should have a blanket, boots, shovel, nonperishable food, and a flashlight.
- Plan early for stopping and turning. Pump the brakes when approaching a stop, especially if the roads are slippery.
- Don't make any sudden moves. Go slow and steady to maintain control.
- Be cautious when braking on icy roads. Coast over ice and brake after you reach bare pavement. NEVER slam on the brakes!
- Steer into a skid. Remember: Locked wheels lead. If your rear tires are in a skid and "locked," the rear of your car will start sliding to lead the car down the road. If this happens, steer into the skid, not away, and remember not to brake during a skid!
- Remain calm. Turn on your hazard lights to warn other drivers, and stay at the scene but move off the roadway.
- Call the police.
- Contact your insurance agency to file a claim. The earlier you do this, the better!
- Only discuss the accident with police and your claims representative.
- If the accident involves other drivers, exchange information. Also remember to get contact information from any witnesses.
For more information on J Edward Knight Insurance, visit our website here, or give us a call. We're happy to answer any of your questions.
The phone numbers for our Rockland office are:
Tel: (207)-594-8823 | Toll Free: (888)-594-8823
Like us on Facebook!