Wyeth Center opens 2014 show

‘The Wyeths, Maine and the Sea’

Apr 19, 2014
© Andrew Wyeth Andrew Wyeth’s “Young Fisherman and Dory, Study for To The Westward, “ is a 1944 drybrush on paper, part of the Farnsworth Art Museum’s 2014 exhibition in the Wyeth Center.

Rockland — The downtown Farnsworth Art Museum’s Wyeth Center will re-open Saturday, April 26, with “The Wyeths, Maine and the Sea.” The exhibition of approximately 30 works will run through Dec. 28 at the Wyeth Center, Union Street at the corner of Grace Street.

The art of the Wyeths — N.C., Andrew and Jamie — is a direct result of their familiarity with and fascination for life along Midcoast Maine, reaching back to N.C.’s decision to bring his family to the area in 1920. The Wyeths’ interests have included the coast’s dramatic shoreline and islands, including Monhegan, the lives of fishermen and farmers, and the boats, houses, barns, lighthouses and other structures scattered throughout the Midcoast.

Their interest in these subjects is part of a long-standing tradition of work done by artists and artisans in Maine since the 18th century. In addition to works by the Wyeths, the exhibition also will include a selection of paintings by James G. Babbidge, George Bellows, Walter Dean, James Fitzgerald, Rockwell Kent, Fitz Henry Lane, William Edward Norton, William Pierce Stubbs, Frederick Waugh and Andrew Winter; and a selection of ship models that include the Red Jacket clipper ship, the seven master schooner Thomas Lawson and the only known ship model by John Haley Bellamy. The show is organized by Farnsworth Registrar Angela Waldron.

In conjunction with “The Wyeths, Maine and the Sea,” Waldron will lead several gallery tours. The first is on the show’s opening day at 2 p.m.; reservations will be taken at the museum’s admission desk beginning 10 a.m.

Summer tours are scheduled for 2 p.m. Fridays, July 18, Aug. 1 and Aug. 20. Gallery tours are free with museum admission. For more information visit farnsworthmuseum.org/education or call 596-0949.

The opening will be celebrated at a members-only preview and reception Friday evening, April 25. This exhibition is made possible thanks to the generous support of Anna Mae and George Twigg, III. The primary media sponsor of the exhibition is Maine Home + Design.

Courier Publications’ A&E Editor Dagney C. Ernest can be reached at (207) 594-4401, ext. 115; or dernest@courierpublicationsllc.com.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.