Suit claims mouse was served in McDonald's milkshake

By Juliette Laaka | Jun 04, 2014

Rockland — A Cushing man filed a complaint June 3 in Knox County Superior Court claiming a milkshake he ordered at a Thomaston McDonald's contained a dead mouse.

George Mele filed the complaint against RC Management, or McDonald's Restaurant,  claiming the defendant was negligent and inflicted distress when, in December 2012, a dead mouse was found in a milkshake Mele purchased from the fast-food chain.

McDonald's was negligent in serving a contaminated milkshake, which was unsafe to consume, said the suit. Mele has incurred medical expenses, lost wages, and mental anguish as a result of the experience, and is requesting damages to be determined by the court, according to the suit.

The unexpected discovery caused the plaintiff to experience nausea, vomiting, acid reflux and insomnia, said the suit. The complaint further states Mele has experienced serious emotional distress, anxiety, and loss of appetite.

Mele is represented by attorney Gary Goldberg.

Ron Lydick, owner and operator of the Thomaston McDonald's, said serving customers safe, high quality food and beverages is a top priority.

"When this alleged incident was brought to our attention back in 2012, we promptly reviewed the matter and were unable to substantiate these claims. I have a strong track record with the local health department and strive to operate our restaurants in accordance with local, state and federal health standards as well as McDonald's stringent standards," Lydick said, adding it would be inappropriate to comment further as legal action is pending.

Courier Publications' reporter Juliette Laaka can be reached at 594-4401 ext. 118 or via email at jlaaka@courierpublicationsllc.com.

Comments (9)
Posted by: Kathryn Fogg | Jun 05, 2014 15:18

When I was in the Peace Corps in Africa many years ago, I was told that the following.  When a volunteer  arrived, if a fly landed in his milk, he would throw the milk away.  After a month, he would take the fly out and drink the milk.  After two months, he would leave the fly in to flavor the milk before he took it out.  After three months he would leave the fly in and drink it for protein.  Certainly what I put into my mouth vastly increased the longer I stayed.  Our backgrounds certainly affect our tolerances but his followup symptoms certainly were mighty.

 



Posted by: David E Myslabodski | Jun 05, 2014 10:15

Hi there J G

Got your point! They, together with their lawyer, should not end up in fed jail. Instead, they should be shipped out to Afghanistan!



Posted by: Nina Reed | Jun 05, 2014 09:32

maybe it was a computer mouse.



Posted by: Lawrence Butler | Jun 05, 2014 09:17

New idea for a party theme -- BYOM...(bring your own mouse)



Posted by: Jim Gamage | Jun 05, 2014 08:29

A perfect example of why our insurance premiums go up.  We all pay for such ridiculous nonsense.  Mental anguish, nausea, insomnia?  Mr. Mele and his attorney are making quite an unrealistic, far fetched claim for personal financial gain.

If in fact the truth comes out that this did happen some sort of compensation should be in order, but to say all of these things occurred is sickening.  Greed to the highest level.  Serious emotional distress, anxiety, loss of appetite?  How about Mr. Mele put himself in our soldiers shoes about their situations, emotional distress, and experiences before making such gross claims.  Think of somebody other than yourself.



Posted by: Alana Allen | Jun 05, 2014 07:21

Unreal....obviously an attempt to collect as I see no possible way for that to happen. REALLY????



Posted by: David E Myslabodski | Jun 05, 2014 01:26

Sure, let them get the same treatment as the people that claimed to have found a human finger inside a cup of Wendy's chili. Do time in federal prison for attempted fraud!



Posted by: Daniel G Benson | Jun 04, 2014 22:44

Was it Mickey Mouse like the law suit?

 



Posted by: Catherine Cooper | Jun 04, 2014 21:31

How does a mouse pass through the shake machine? I worked at the Rockland McDonald's and the shake mix is in bags. For the mouse to fit through the shake nozzle dispenser just doesn't sound feasible. Are we seeing an opportunity to make some money?



If you wish to comment, please login.

Staff Profile

Juliette Laaka
Reporter
594-4401 ext. 118
Email Me

Juliette primarily covers the cops and courts beat for The Courier-Gazette.

Recent Stories by Juliette Laaka