Suit claims mouse was served in McDonald's milkshake
Rockland — A Cushing man filed a complaint June 3 in Knox County Superior Court claiming a milkshake he ordered at a Thomaston McDonald's contained a dead mouse.
George Mele filed the complaint against RC Management, or McDonald's Restaurant, claiming the defendant was negligent and inflicted distress when, in December 2012, a dead mouse was found in a milkshake Mele purchased from the fast-food chain.
McDonald's was negligent in serving a contaminated milkshake, which was unsafe to consume, said the suit. Mele has incurred medical expenses, lost wages, and mental anguish as a result of the experience, and is requesting damages to be determined by the court, according to the suit.
The unexpected discovery caused the plaintiff to experience nausea, vomiting, acid reflux and insomnia, said the suit. The complaint further states Mele has experienced serious emotional distress, anxiety, and loss of appetite.
Mele is represented by attorney Gary Goldberg.
Ron Lydick, owner and operator of the Thomaston McDonald's, said serving customers safe, high quality food and beverages is a top priority.
"When this alleged incident was brought to our attention back in 2012, we promptly reviewed the matter and were unable to substantiate these claims. I have a strong track record with the local health department and strive to operate our restaurants in accordance with local, state and federal health standards as well as McDonald's stringent standards," Lydick said, adding it would be inappropriate to comment further as legal action is pending.
Courier Publications' reporter Juliette Laaka can be reached at 594-4401 ext. 118 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.