Rockport fire started by chair too close to woodstove

By Kim Lincoln | Jan 10, 2017
Courtesy of: Rockport Fire Department

Rockport — Fire investigators say a Jan. 3 fire that destroyed a mobile home on Vinal Street was caused by a chair catching fire that was too close to the woodstove.

The homeowner, Bruce Fales, 64, was critically injured from smoke inhalation and burns and was initially taken to Pen Bay Medical Center in Rockport before being transferred to Maine Medical Center in Portland. As of Jan. 9, he was listed in satisfactory condition.

Fales was interviewed by investigators last weekend in his hospital room and he told them he was asleep at the time of the fire and escaped out a bedroom window, crawling down his driveway where he was found, according to a news release from Maine Department of Public Safety.

His home was completely destroyed by fire. When crews first arrived, at approximately 3:30 a.m., about 75 percent of the mobile home was gone, Fire Chief Jason Peasley previously said.

The mobile home did not have any working smoke detectors.

Comments (2)
Posted by: Mary A McKeever | Jan 09, 2017 16:19

Blessings and healing to you Bruce. You always were a dedicated worker at NSP and had the stamina to get through this. My prayers are certainly with you Bruce.

Mary "Mickey" (Brown) McKeever    (NSP Personnel)



Posted by: Richard McKusic, Sr. | Jan 09, 2017 10:17

Thanks for the update on Mr. Fales. Thank God that five year old boy woke up, paid attention and took action.



If you wish to comment, please login.