Rapid response saves Rockport home from fire

Blockage, crack in chimney leads to fire
By Dwight Collins | Feb 25, 2014
Courtesy of: Jason Peasley/Rockport Fire Department Rockport Fire Department responded to 509 Rockland St. for a report of a chimney fire Feb.25. A quick response kept flames from moving in to the crawl space in the roof and catching the trusses on fire, according to Fire Chief Jason Peasley.

Quick response by members of Rockport Fire Department kept a chimney fire from spreading to the roof of a home at 509 Rockland St. the morning of Feb. 25.

The call came in to Knox County Regional Communications Center around 6:50 a.m. as a report of a chimney fire and as crews arrived on scene the fire had begun to spread to the trusses, according to Fire Chief Jason Peasley.

“There was a blockage and a major crack in the chimney that allowed smoke to fill the house through the crawl space,” Peasely said. “We were lucky to get here before the trusses caught on fire; one of them was really charred when we got in there and took a look.”

Peasley pointed to the quick response time and the availability of crew at that time in the morning to keeping a bad situation from getting worse.

“We had 16 firefighters and three trucks all there within 12 minutes,” Peasley said. “Just a few minutes later – it could have been much worse.”

The home, owned by Robert Emery, received mostly smoke damage in the crawl space, along with the charring of one of the roof trusses.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.

Staff Profile

Dwight Collins
Dwight Collins is a reporter/photographer for The Camden Herald.
(207) 236-8511 ext. 303
Email Me

Recent Stories by Dwight Collins