Parades, pirates and more at Union Founders Day
Union — Plans are under way for Union's celebration of Founders Day 2013, to be held on the Common on the weekend of July 19-21.
Events marking the 239th anniversary of the town's founding will start on Friday, July 19 with a farmers market on the Common from 2 to 6 p.m.
At 5:30 p.m., the chamber of commerce will fire up the grill for their "now-famous" Pie Social and Music. Also at 5:30, the first of two Come Spring Bus Tours, sponsored by the Union Historical Society leaves the Old Town House. These popular two-hour narrated tours visit the home sites of the early settlers, with tickets priced at $10.
Events of Saturday, July 20 will kick-off at 7 a.m. with registration for the 5K Run/Walk on a loop through the village, to benefit Vose Library. The race starts at 8 a.m. For a more relaxed start to the day,, a 7 to 9:30 a.m. pancake breakfast is offered at People's United Methodist Church. Golfers are welcome daily on Saturday and Sunday at Union Country Club's nine-hole course on Barrett Hill Road. The green fees will be donated to the library.
Joe Murphy will play live music at the bandstand from 9 to 9:30 a.m. The second Come Spring Bus Tour departs at 9:30 a.m. as well as the parade from the firehouse to the Common.
The Matthews Museum of Maine Heritage will be open at Union Fairground from 10 a.. to 4 p.m. After the parade, the Midcoast Community Band will offer a concert on the Common from 10 to 10:45 a.m., followed at 11 a.m. with a presentation by historian Jim Nelson in full piratical regalia. Nelson, with a colorful costume and authentic weapons, will appear in the persona of Pirate Dixey Bull who stormed Pemaquid in 1632.
A chicken barbecue lunch, cooked by Union's Masons, can be enjoyed from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
At noon, a dramatic reading of "Come Spring Chronicles," will be presented at the Robbins House, headquarters of the historical society. Local residents play the parts of the early settlers, in this medley of excerpts collated by Peter Duffey from Ben Ames Williams' 1940 novel "Come Spring."
Evening events start at 7 p.m. with silent movies at the Old Town House, sponsored by the Union Historical Society. This year's program features three pre-1923 comedy short films, accompanied by Doug Protsik at the piano. From 7 to 11 p.m. there will be a country dance at Union's Masonic Hall on Sennebec Road.
Celebrations close on Sunday, July 21 with a 9:45 a.m. Gospel Music Concert on the Common, sponsored by People's United Methodist Church, followed by open-air worship, led by Rev. George L. Hodgkins Jr. from the grandstand at 10 a.m.