Overheated balsam pillow ignites in garage

By Jenna Lookner | Jan 02, 2013

Lincolnville — The garage of a Lincolnville residence at 45 Wentworth Road sustained minimal fire and smoke damage Dec. 30 after an overheated balsam pillow smoldered overnight in the space, said Lincolnville Fire Chief Jason Peasley.

Peasley said the homeowner was attempting to "recharge" the scent of the pillow by heating it up in the microwave Dec. 29. The pillow remained in the microwave for too long, said Peasley, and began to emit an unpleasant scent as the balsam filling burned and a small ember was visible. The homeowner removed the pillow from the microwave and placed it in the garage of the home overnight, believing the embers had been extinguished.

The homeowner entered the garage again around 8 a.m. Dec. 30 and discovered fire had spread from the pillow to a nearby work bench, damaged the bench and some tools, in addition to causing smoke damage to a nearby wall. A window was also cracked from the heat, said Peasley. The homeowner called for help and attempted to put out the fire, he said.

"A small portion of the wall had started to char," he said.

Lincolnville Fire Department responded to the call and upon arrival called off automatic mutual aid en route from other fire departments and Camden First Aid Association. Peasley said bad weather and a controllable blaze made mutual aid response unnecessary in the incident.

Courier Publications reporter Jenna Lookner can be reached at 236-8511 or by email at jlookner@courierpublicationsllc.com

 

 

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.