Oceanside High School principals review accreditation team visitCoaches for the year appointed
Rockland — The Oceanside East and West High Schools underwent a review in September by a team from the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
Oceanside East Principal Thomas Forti and Oceanside West Principal Larry Schooley gave a report of the visit to the Regional School Unit 13 School Board Thursday, Oct. 4. and outlined details of the visit. Schools normally undergo accreditation inspections every 10 years from the association.
"We're here to report what little information we have about the accreditation visit and how it went," said Oceanside East Principal Thomas Forti. The visiting team members arrived for the week beginning Sunday, Sept. 23.
"We had a limited time," Forti said. "When the team arrived, the session began with a panel where members of the faculty spoke of standards we worked on. We also had a seven-minute video speech."
Whole families of parents and students joined the faculty in greeting the team on that first day, he said.
On Monday, Sept. 24, the team toured the facilities, walking the halls and visiting classrooms.
"We put them up in the conference room for study," he said.
Meetings with teachers and administrators were mostly on schedule, and the team was presented to the students at the auditorium.
Forti said he wanted to recognize the effort made by the faculty with the team, and by the students, as well.
Superintendent Lewis Collins said he was pleased when he saw how proud of the school the students were.
Schooley said it was a very worthwhile process for the school to undergo.
Board Chairman Esther Kilgour congratulated the principals for their report and for the effort they made in dealing with the visiting team.
On another matter, Kilgour reminded the board that director Brian Messing of Rockland is not running for re-election and will be leaving the board by Nov. 1. She presented him with a card and thanked him for his service.
The board also approved the second reading of a policy on hazing, harassment and intimidation.
Coaches for the 2012-13 school year who are not regular employees were appointed as follows:
- Rusty Worcester, Oceanside High School varsity softball head coach;
- John Frye, OHS varsity softball assistant coach;
- Don Shields, OHS varsity baseball head coach;
- Ron Hawkes, OHS varsity baseball assistant coach;
- Steve Hiller, OHS varsity baseball assistant coach, volunteer;
- Heath Commeau, OHS JV baseball head coach;
- Matt Shields, OHS freshman baseball head coach;
- Shawn Hiller, OHS JV baseball assistant coach, volunteer;
- Teel Foster, OHS girls varsity basketball coach;
- Christine Clayton, OHS girls jayvee basketball coach;
- Katie Sibley, OHS girls freshman basketball coach;
- Hope Billingsley, OHS varsity winter cheering coach;
- Chris Raye, Oceanside West eighth-grade boys white basketball coach;
- Greg Billingsley, Oceanside West eighth-grade girls white basketball coach;
- Keenan Flanagan, Oceanside West eighth-grade boys blue basketball coach;
- Dan McNichol, Oceanside West eighth-grade girls blue basketball coach;
- Wes Drinkwater, Oceanside West seventh-grade boys blue basketball coach;
- Oceanside West seventh-grade baseball coach;
- Alison Cornforth, Oceanside West seventh-grade girls blue basketball coach;
- Irene McGonagle, Oceanside West Middle School Winter cheering head coach;
- Gene Drinkwater, Oceanside West eighth-grade softball coach;
- Erik Nelson, Oceanside West eighth-grade softball coach.
"I've met with the principals and scheduled teacher evaluations. There will be about 90 this year," he said.
Business Manager Scott Vaitones said transportation was off to a good start.
Kilgour announced a board workshop at the Samoset Resort in Rockport on Oct. 17. It will be open to the public.
The board unanimously voted to accept a donation from Janet Staiano of a Yamaha Clavinova full 88-key piano, worth approximately $1,000, to Rockland District Middle School, and a donation from George McLeod of two trombones, worth approximately $800, to the middle school.
The board's next meeting will be held at Thursday, Nov. 1 at 7 p.m. at the St. George School.
Courier Publications reporter George Chappell can be reached by phone at 207-594-4401, ext. 117, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.