Nine homes featured on Merryspring Kitchen Tour
Camden — The Merryspring Kitchen Tour will take place Wednesday, Aug. 6, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
This year's tour is bigger and better than ever, inviting the public to visit nine home kitchens, five of them with water views, with a tasting from a local chef at every stop — a total of 19 participating chefs.
Merryspring Nature Center encourages the public to bring along friends and houseguests to this popular summertime event, its major annual fundraiser. The 2014 Kitchen Tour is sponsored by EBS Style Solutions, Camden, and co-sponsored by Camden Real Estate, Camden.
The kitchens — in homes that range in style from Federalist to Arts and Crafts to up-to-the-minute contemporary — give visitors a look at what creative homeowners can do, together with skilled designers, builders, and craftspeople. The chefs at work in each kitchen give the public a sampling of the remarkable, ever-expanding dining choices available in the Midcoast.
The 2014 Kitchen Tour features these homeowners and chefs:
1. Nance and Jim Brown, Rockport, with FOG Bar & Café, Rockland (a.m.) and The Market Basket, Rockport (p.m.)
2. Betsy Henshaw, Rockport, with 40 Paper Italian Bistro & Bar, Camden (a.m.) and Salt Water Farm Café & Market, Rockport (p.m.) Raffle at this stop; win a dinner at Francine Bistro or Seabright Pizza, Camden, or Shepherd's Pie, Rockport.
3. Rene Mathews and Dan Neumann, Camden, with Comida Latin Kitchen, Camden (a.m.) and The Highlands Coffee House, Thomaston (p.m.) See artist Dan Neumann's studio at this stop.
4. Sue and Mike Kandziolka, Camden, with Blue Sky Cantina (a.m.) and Laugh Loud, Smile Big Cupcakes, West Rockport (p.m.) Door prize at this stop; win a gift basket from Stonewall Kitchen.
5. Rickey Celentano and Dyke Messler, Camden, with Hartstone Inn, Camden (a.m.) and Cappy's Bakery, Camden (p.m.)
6. Karen and Bob Brace, Camden, with Laura Cabot Catering, Waldoboro (a.m.) and Vincent's at the Whitehall Inn, Camden (p.m.)
7. Linsey Low, Lincolnville, with The Lobster Pound, Lincolnville (a.m.) and Inn at Sunrise Point, Lincolnville (p.m.)
8. Adele and Dave Ames, Northport, with The Whale's Tooth Pub & Restaurant, Lincolnville (a.m.) and French & Brawn Marketplace, Camden (p.m.)
9. Jean and Ken Nolan, Northport, with Delvino's Grill & Pasta House, Belfast (a.m.) and Conscious Kitchen Food & Grocery, Camden (p.m.)
In addition, tour-goers can also stop at EBS Style Solutions, Camden, for a special treat — Bixby Bars, premium organic chocolate from Bixby & Company, Rockland (11 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
Allow plenty of time to visit all the kitchens, but go in any order and at one's own pace. Tickets purchased before the day of the Tour are $25 for the whole day. On the day of the tour, purchase a ticket for $35 at any of the kitchens, or at Merryspring Nature Center on Conway Road, Camden. Also purchase a ticket for an individual kitchen for $10.
To save $10 by purchasing a ticket in advance, stop in at Merryspring or any of these locations from Tuesday, July 22 through Tuesday, Aug. 5: CAMDEN: Surroundings, Once a Tree, Zoot Coffee; ROCKPORT: The Market Basket; ROCKLAND: Atlantic Baking Company; THOMASTON: The Highlands Coffee House; BELFAST: The Good Table; DAMARISCOTTA: Rising Tide Community Market. Advance tickets are also available by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 236-2239. Tickets will be held at Merryspring for pick-up the day of the tour.
All proceeds from the Kitchen Tour support Merryspring Nature Center, a nonprofit privately owned park and education center in Camden and Rockport, with 66 acres of gardens and nature trails open free of charge to the public every day, and a year-round program of talks, classes, and workshops. For further information about the Kitchen Tour, call Merryspring at 236-2239, email email@example.com, or go to merryspring.org.