Nicked pipe leads to gas leak
Rockland — Rockland firefighters responded Thursday, Feb. 16 to a leak from an underground liquid propane tank outside an office building.
The leak occurred when snow was being cleared around the pipe to fill the tank and the copper piping was struck, causing a hole. The incident occurred about 2 p.m. outside the Kno-Wal-Lin home health service office building on Pleasant Street.
Assistant Rockland Fire Chief Adam Miceli said gusty winds helped prevent the gas -- which is heavier than air -- from settling and concentrating.
Gas workers had to melt snow to be able to reach the shutoff valve.
Firefighters checked the gas level around the property which showed no hazardous levels.