Mary P. Burgess Johnson
Rockport — Mary P. Burgess Johnson, 90, died Thursday, Oct. 3, 2013, at Riverside Boarding Home in Thomaston.
Born at Islesboro, May 18, 1923, she was the daughter of Arthur C. and Olive E. Coombs Hatch. Moving to Camden at an early age, she was educated in local schools and was a 1941 graduate of Camden High School. She later graduated from a business college in Massachusetts.
Mary was a World War II U.S. Marine Corps veteran.
Returning to this area, she worked at Knox Woolen Mill in Camden. While working there, she met Gordon E. Burgess.
The couple married Oct. 7, 1946, and lived in Lewiston while raising their family. A devoted mother and homemaker, Mary was an accomplished seamstress and made many of her children’s clothes and husband’s suits. In the fall of 1968, the family moved to Farmingdale. Following Mr. Burgess’ death in 1972, Mary worked several years as a secretary with the Augusta Sanitary District.
Mary later began communicating with a widowed high school classmate, Alan S. Johnson. They were married at Chestnut Street Baptist Church in Camden, on Jan. 23, 1995.
She was as a longtime member of the Order of the Eastern Star.
Mary is survived by her husband, Alan, of Rockport; three sons, James F. Burgess and his wife Cathy of Groveland, Mass., Gordon "Buzz" Burgess of Farmingdale, Stephen Burgess and his wife Susan Smith of Bellevue, Wash.; two step-sons, Dwight A. Johnson of Camden, Eric E. Johnson of Burlington, Vt.; four grandchildren, Gordon, Cassandra, Michele, and Jamie; three great-grandchildren, Taylor, Matthew, and Brooklyn, as well as several nieces and nephews.
A graveside side funeral service was held Oct. 8 at Achorn Cemetery, Old County Road, Rockland.
Arrangements are in the care of Burpee, Carpenter & Hutchins Funeral Home, 110 Limerock Street, Rockland. To share a memory or condolence with Mary’s family, please visit her Book of Memories at bchfh.com.