Lawsuit dropped against former homeless shelter director

By Stephen Betts | Feb 06, 2017

Rockland — A lawsuit filed nearly two years ago by a woman who claimed that the former director of the region's homeless shelter offered her housing in exchange for sex has been dropped.

Justice Bruce Mallonnee approved Jan. 25 the dismissal of the lawsuit brought against Gordon Mank Jr. in May 2015.

Mank's attorney, Steven Peterson, of Rockport, said Mank did not pay any money to have the case dismissed. Peterson had earlier said Mank acknowledged he had a sexual relationship with the woman, but that the sex was consensual and had no connection with her receiving housing or related services.

The woman's attorney, Sarah Churchill, of Portland, did not respond to a request for a comment.

The woman had claimed in her lawsuit that she and her four children were homeless in October 2010 when she contacted Hospitality House in hopes of getting temporary housing.

The woman also claimed in the lawsuit she had been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder because of Mank's actions.

The homeless shelter operated by Mank closed in November 2012 and reopened a little more than a year later under new management.

Comments (1)
Posted by: Patricia P Weaver | Feb 06, 2017 12:25

And the NEW Hospitality House is awesome and does wonderful work with their clients to get them back on their feet. They have a great program and a great staff.



If you wish to comment, please login.