Laundry shed fire deemed accidental
Thomaston — Thomaston Fire Department and emergency medical personnel responded to a structure fire at Greenfield Apartments June 20, shortly before 11 a.m.
The fire started on the rear exterior wall of a laundry shed at the 26 Brooklyn Heights complex and traveled into the eaves of the building, according to Assistant Fire Chief Jamie Leo.
A fence caught fire as well, and an abutting building received heat damage to its siding.
It was discovered a contractor, who was replacing some doors at the complex, had piled some empty boxes under a wood pallet behind the shed. The pile was too close to one of the dryer vents, which sparked the blaze.
"It was rendered an accident," said Leo June 21. "There was no foul play involved."
Initially, the State Fire Marshal's Office was called to investigate.
Wadsworth Street was closed to through traffic from the bridge by Jeff's Marine to just beyond the complex for more than an hour.
Thomaston Fire, EMS and police responded to the call.
Courier Publications reporter Beth A. Birmingham can be reached at 594-4401 ext. 125 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
594-4401 ext. 125
Beth rejoined Courier Publications' news staff in February 2013. She previously worked at The Courier-Gazette from 1981 to 1990.
Her coverage area includes Warren, Union, Friendship, Waldoboro, Washington, and Thomaston and RSU40.
Beth has a passion for photography, and a degree from the University of Maine at Augusta, in affiliation with the Maine Photographic Workshop in Rockport.
Aside from photography, Beth enjoys running and walks along the waterfront, as well as other outdoor activities. She has a daughter, Claire, who is 15.
Recent Stories by Beth Birmingham
May 27, 2016
May 26, 2016
May 25, 2016
May 24, 2016
May 23, 2016