Historical society to learn about Limerock Railroad
Union — Union Historical Society will meet at the Old Town House on Town House Road, off Union Common, on Wednesday, Sept. 5 at 7:30 p.m. Four directors of Rockland Historical Society, Larry Goldman, Dave Hoch, Gil Merriam and John Ware, will give an illustrated presentation about the Limerock Railroad, which operated from 1888 to 1942.
Although only 13 miles long, the Limerock Railroad was important to industrial transportation of the period. Since the track was standard gauge, it tied in with both the local trolley system and with Maine Central Railroad, enabling Maine products such as lime, apples and fish to reach distant markets. The inland towns of Knox County and central Maine supported a large cooperage trade, supplying the barrels that were the shipping containers of the day.
Between them, the four speakers provide a wealth of information about the railroad. Goldman is writing a book on the Limerock Railroad. Hoch was the last president of the Rockland Lime Company. Merriam, a retired history professor, and Ware, whose Maritime Energy business is located on the site of the Limerock Railroad terminal, are keen and knowledgeable local historians.
After the meeting, refreshments will be served by hostesses Phyllis Parsons and Debbie Hilt. All meetings of Union Historical Society are free and open to the public. Union Historical Society owns and maintains the Robbins House on Union Common, the Cobb's Ledge historic site on Town House Road, and the Old Town House, also located on Town House Road and available to rent for functions. Membership is $5 per year. For more information, call 785-5444 and leave a message, or visit unionhistoricalsociety.org.
Courier Publications news staff can be reached by phone at 207-594-4401 or by email at email@example.com.