Historic house tour in Thomaston

Jul 08, 2014
The historic home at 88 Main St., Thomaston, will open for an afternoon house tour Saturday, July 12.

Thomaston — According to the professionals at Maine Preservation, Thomaston has the largest percentage of historic houses still being used as private residences than any other town in Maine. On Saturday, July 12, between the hours of 1 and 4 p.m., the public will have a rare opportunity to tour one of these lovely houses that line Main Street/Route 1.

Built in the 1830s, the house at 88 Main St. has been home to several physicians listed among the total of 15 owners of this property to date. The house is a marvelous example of Greek revival architecture featuring perfect symmetry with its gable end facing the street. It is embellished with a columned porch with balustrades along the top. The house is on the National Registry of Historic Places and is an outstanding example of the huge variety of one-of-a-kind houses that grace the town and creates a community of people who purchase and restore these wonderfully designed and well-built properties.

Among the features to be seen are several distinctive fireplaces, a “hidden” room accessed through a flush panel in an artist’s wall painting and a multitude of small spaces now dedicated to housing tiny treasures and books collected by the current owner, Diana Beach. The house recently had an exterior restoration that included a change to off-white paint, a historically correct shade that was common during the time period in which the house was constructed.

The cost to view this property is $8; $5 for Thomaston Historical Society members; and $3 for students younger than 19. Small children who are being carried can enter free. Light refreshments will be served and several baskets of items will be on display for a silent auction. The fees collected will be used for the upkeep of the Society’s 1797 brick farmhouse, the only remaining structure of the original General Henry Knox estate, and for the purchase of historic items for its museum displays and archives.

Courier Publications’ A&E Editor Dagney C. Ernest can be reached at (207) 594-4401, ext. 115; or dernest@courierpublicationsllc.com.

Comments (1)
Posted by: Margaret McCrea | Jul 08, 2014 20:06

Where is the "like" button?  This is a huge opportunity for access to one of Thomaston's earlier homes, designed and built by architect William Keith, the forward-thinking citizen, who in 1828 donated land for the present-day Thomaston Mall (the town green on West Main Street).  With good weather promised, the tour should draw a significant number of those who appreciate fine early architecture and will benefit the Thomaston Historical Society at the same time.  Thank you, Diana Beach!



If you wish to comment, please login.