Historic Camden: Inner harbor and Curtis Island
A view from Chestnut Street, over the roof tops of Bay View Street, of the inner harbor. Beyond, on the far right, is Dillingham’s Point, with Curtis Island in the far middle, and the east side of the harbor on the far left.
On the pilings are old buildings that were used as coal sheds when Camden Shipbuilding & Marine Railways sold coal; they are no longer there.
The floating derrick shown was called the “lola,” and is shown near the sheds. The large building facing Curtis Island was a joiner shop that burned Sept. 10, 1953. Many tools owned by joiners for many years were destroyed, and all the sawdust made for a roaring fire.
To the left of the joiner shop is Eastern Steamship Wharf. It was burned in 1959 because the pilings were loose and considered a menace to navigation. It was the second wharf for the steamship lines that carried passengers and freight from Boston to Bangor with stops in between. The lines operated from 1833, owned by different companies over the years. The first wharf was totally destroyed by fire Aug. 1, 1924, but the new wharf was begun that fall and finished in 1925. The last steamship trip left Camden on Dec. 27, 1935.
In the foreground one is the public landing, built shortly after the Camden Anchor-Rockland Machine Co., burned May 19, 1935. Bay View Street during those years was mostly coal and lumber yards.