Historic Camden: Haying
HISTORIC CAMDEN: HAYING — From the Lane photograph collection of the Camden-Rockport Historical Society, this image taken in 1897 shows haying in what is now the Camden Amphitheatre. In the background are two houses on High Street. The one on the far right is now the Hawthorne Inn. The house on the left was known as the Russell Homestead and at that time had a cupola from which the harbor and Curtis Island could be seen. Dexter Russell was a blacksmith and had a shop on Bay View Street. The field shown here is now the "meadow" area of the amphitheatre where the library parking lot is located.