Historic Camden: Conway boulder
In this picture from the archives of the Camden-Rockport Historical Society, the Conway Boulder is being moved into place at the corner of Elm and School streets in Camden. A team of 10 horses with Jim Brown as the boss teamster prepare to turn the corner by the Elm Street School. It took a total of 30 teams of 60 horses to pull the boulder on skids from upper Chestnut Street. The Congregational church is in the background and trolley tracks are visible in the foreground. The boulder which weighed 30 tons was dedicated in 1906 to honor Camden's Civil War hero William Conway.