Friendship Museum marks 50 years
Friendship — The Friendship Museum, 1 Martin Point Road in the village, is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. The public is invited to the festive season opening Saturday, June 28, at 1 p.m.
The museum is housed in a red brick schoolhouse built in 1851 and used as a classroom until 1923. In 1927, Dr. Randall Condon — renowned educator and Friendship native — bought the schoolhouse from the Town of Friendship and restored it in memory of his mother, Hanna Condon, who was the first teacher there. Dr. Condon’s grandson, Randy Foster, inherited the building and, along with several other Friendship residents, created the Museum of Friendship, which opened on June 14, 1964.
At the June 28th opening, there will be a presentation of certificates of appreciation to Randy and Sally Foster, who donated the building to the Friendship Museum in 2001; and to Lynn and Bill Case, for their role in preserving and restoring the Schoolhouse Museum. Longtime residents of Friendship will be on hand for a question and answer session, and refreshments will be served.
While some things have changed since the museum opened — one may read the original Courier-Gazette article below — many things still remain the same. The displays change regularly, but many items remain. And the museum still works closely with the town of Friendship, its residents and the Friendship Sloop Society. The Schoolhouse will be open for viewing during the opening and every day for most of the summer. For more information, visit friendshipmuseum.org.
The following article was printed in the Courier on June 14, 1964:
Friendship opens tiny new museum
FRIENDSHIP — The charming little salmon brick school house in Friendship was put to use as of last Sunday as the Town Museum. The former one room schoolhouse is one of the most attractive buildings in the area standing at a fork of the road where it has been seen and enjoyed by everyone. Fortunately the citizens of Friendship have preserved the building for posterity, and now will serve to house the records of the famous Friendship Sloop and other lore of the town.
The “Museum of Friendship,” which will be open every day during the summer months, was christened by President Albert Roberts with a ribbon cutting ceremony, and the presentation of two checks to Robert Lash, Jr., museum treasurer, for its upkeep.
One check was presented by Selectman Woodrow Verge from the town for $200, raised at the March town meeting. The other, for $500, was presented by Mrs. Elizabeth Roberts, secretary of the Friendship Sloop Society.
The new museum, while not connected with the Friendship Sloop Society, has many mementos of those widely known fishing boats. These include a portrait of Wilbur Morse, designer and builder of the original sloop, hanging over the fireplace.
One section holds family treasures while another wall has half-models of ships. A central dividing screen carries photographs and paintings of various craft. One antique school desk and the school bell are also on exhibit.
Among the visitors was Mr. Stanley Lawry, retired vice president of the New England Merchants Bank of Boston. In the 1890s he attended the brick school with his brothers, Clinton of Friendship and Dr. Oram of Rockland.
Mrs. Robert Bragan, Mrs. Arthur Penniman, Miss Eda Lawry, Mrs. Virginia Carlson and Miss Lorinda Lash were in charge of an outdoor refreshment table. Miss Bonnie Jean Davis took care of the guest book.
The society was incorporated this year with Mr. Roberts as president; Lash, treasurer; Mrs. Mary Carlson, secretary; Randall Foster, vice president and Mrs. Peggy Simmons, historian.
The directors are Mr. and Mrs. Lauriston E. Davis; Miss Nellie Davis; Dr. Harold Frost; Maurice Hall; Mr. and Mrs. Bird Jameson; Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Jameson; Mr. and Mrs. Foster Jameson; Mr. and Mrs. Herald Jones; Mr. and Mrs. Clinton Lawry; Miss Eda Lawry; Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Lawry; Mr. and Mrs. Wardell McFarland; Mr. and Mrs. James Napler; Mr. And Mrs. Sidney Prior; Mrs. Jennie Robinson; Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Simmons; Mr. and Mrs. Earle Stanley; Mr. and Mrs. Charles Sylvester; Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth E. Thompson; Miss Betty Winchenpaw and Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Winchenpaw.
Courier Publications’ A&E Editor Dagney C. Ernest can be reached at (207) 594-4401, ext. 115; or firstname.lastname@example.org.