Fire destroys Lincolnville garage

By Juliette Laaka | Dec 26, 2013
Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham The garage at 46 Youngtown Road was destroyed by fire Dec.24.

Lincolnville — A fire caused by a generator leveled a detached garage Dec. 24 at a Youngtown Road home.

Lincolnville Fire Chief Ben Hazen said the homeowner, Bill Feener, as well as neighbors, reported the blaze shortly past 8 p.m. There were no injuries.

Feener returned home to find a running generator in the garage was on fire. He attempted to pull it outside, but was unsuccessful, said Hazen.

The fire did not spread to the home, and the wind blowing away from the structure, as well as the emergency response prevented it from spreading.

Hope and Camden Fire Departments also responded. Crews were on scene for approximately two hours, said Hazen.

Running generators should not be kept inside buildings, and Hazen also warned they should be shut off before being refilled with gasoline. "They will catch on fire if gasoline is spilled on them, I've seen it happen," he said.

The fire chief said his crew had responded to a fire in Northport on the same day. "I think my guys are still tired," he said.

Courier Publications' reporter Juliette Laaka can be reached at 594-4401 ext. 118 or via email at

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.

Staff Profile

Juliette Laaka
594-4401 ext. 118
Email Me

Juliette primarily covers the cops and courts beat for The Courier-Gazette.

Recent Stories by Juliette Laaka