Fire destroys camper at Beaver Lodge

By Kim Lincoln | Jun 30, 2014

Hope — A camper was destroyed after a rechargeable battery pack for a remote control car ignited a seat cushion June 29 at the campground at Beaver Lodge.

The fire broke out at about 8:30 p.m. in a 1998 tow-behind camper, owned by Andrew Carter of South Thomaston, according to Hope Fire Chief Clarence Keller.

Keller said a couple of other people at the campground were able to extinguish the fire before the fire department arrived, but the heat and smoke damage was enough to consider the camper a total loss. It was destroyed on the inside, he said.

"Anything we plug in to charge, whether it be cellphones, rechargeable batteries or a battery pack, should be kept on a hard surface," Keller said noting when an electronic item is placed on a cushion or other soft surface it does not have enough air circulation and can overheat.

The state Fire Marshals Office was called — as Keller said he does for every fire — but after hearing the details, the Fire Marshals Office determined no further investigation was needed. The fire was not suspicious, Keller said.

Courier Publications Copy Editor Kim Lincoln can be reached at 594-4401 or by email at klincoln@villagesoup.com.

 

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.

Staff Profile

Kim Lincoln
Copy Editor
594-4401 ext. 120
Email Me

Kim Lincoln has worked for Courier Publications since 2003, serving as a reporter, assistant editor and copy editor.

During her time with the company she has worked for each of the three newspapers, The Courier-Gazette, The Camden Herald and The Republican Journal.

When she is not in the newsroom, Kim likes to be outside, whether it be gardening, swimming, hiking or just enjoying the sunshine.

Recent Stories by Kim Lincoln