Fire caused by candle leads to drug charges

By Dwight Collins | Jul 08, 2014
Courtesy of: Rockland Fire and EMS Firefighters from three towns responded to a fire at 79 Old Rockland Road around 10:45 a.m. July 4.

Rockport — An unattended candle was deemed the cause of a July 4 fire at 79 Old Rockland St. in Rockport.

According to Fire Chief Jason Peasley, the home is owned by John Anders. At the time of the fire, Anders' 17-year-old daughter and 19-year-old son were home along with another 19-year-old male, Peasley said. The daughter cleared a spot and placed a lit candle on the floor at the end of her bed and went downstairs, he said. When she returned she saw smoke and fire and called 911.

“They were very lucky, it could have been a lot worse,” Peasley said. “You should never leave a lit candle unattended, especially around things that can catch on fire. It is just common sense.”

Peasley pointed to actions by Rockport firefighters Neal Bartley and Bill Lane, who were able to extinguish the fire quickly, with help from interim Rockland Fire Chief Adam Miceli in organizing the first firefighters on scene.

“It was a good save, everyone worked together to get the best outcome possible,” he said.

Damage was contained to the area of a second story bedroom and its contents. A pet rat died in the fire, Peasley reported.

Upon arrival of Rockport Police to assist the fire department, officer Craig Cooley identified and seized a usable amount of marijuana and paraphernalia from the bedroom and subsequently issued summonses to Garrett Anders, 19, for possession of a usable amount of marijuana and sale and use of drug paraphernalia.

Firefighters from Rockport, Rockland and Camden responded to the scene and were supported by a unit from North East Mobile Health Services.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.

Staff Profile

Dwight Collins
Dwight Collins is a reporter/photographer for The Camden Herald.
(207) 236-8511 ext. 303
Email Me

Recent Stories by Dwight Collins