Updated

Soldering torch sparks St. George fire

By Juliette Laaka | Jan 28, 2013
Photo by: Juliette Laaka A firefighter dismantles trim board to locate the fire.

St. George — Three municipal fire departments were dispatched to a home at 305 Port Clyde Road mid-morning Jan. 28 to extinguish a structure fire.

St. George Fire and EMS, the Thomaston Fire Department and the South Thomaston Fire Department answered the call placed by homeowner Chip Knowlton, and were on scene for more than two hours.

There were no injuries.

Knowlton attempted to fix a frozen pipe with a soldering torch, and the surrounding area caught fire, said St. George Assistant Fire Chief Chris Leavitt.

St. George Fire Chief Tim Polky said he is unsure of monetary value of the damage, but said the home sustained severe water and moderate smoke damage.

The Knowlton family will not be able to return home "for quite a while," Polky said.

Courier Publications reporter Juliette Laaka can be reached at 594-4401 ext. 118 or via email at jlaaka@courierpublicationsllc.com.

Firefighters rip apart trim board to control a fire in the home. (Photo by: Juliette Laaka)
Water douses the fire from the inside of the house and runs through the hole in the trim board. (Photo by: Juliette Laaka)
Smoke pours from an upstairs window. (Photo by: Juliette Laaka)
Firefighters rip apart trim board to control a fire in the home. (Photo by: Juliette Laaka)
Firefighters respond to the scene of a fire at 305 Port Clyde Road. (Photo by: Juliette Laaka)
A firefighter gets a new compressed air tank before entering the home. (Photo by: Juliette Laaka)
Three towns respond to a fire in St. George. (Photo by: Juliette Laaka)
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.