Church screens ‘Home Run’
Waldoboro — Waldoboro First Baptist Church will screen the movie “Home Run” Saturday, Sept. 7, from 6 to 8 p.m. The showing at the church, 71 Grace Ave., is free and open to the public.
“Home Run,” released this year, is a sports story, a love story and a story of redemption. It tells the story of Cory Brand (Scott Elrod), a big league baseball player with a troubled past who struggles with alcoholism. Brand is suspended from baseball when his out-of-control drinking collides with his rage, and his suspension forces him to seek help at Celebrate Recovery, a Christ-centered alternative to Alcoholics Anonymous. Through his character, viewers will realize that personal transformation is possible.
The mission of Celebrate Recovery, founded in 1991 by John and Cheryl Baker, is to take a lost broken person, introduce them to the saving power of Christ and teach them how to grow into a fully devoted follower of Christ. Today, there are 19,000 individual churches and organizations hosting programs worldwide, including prison ministries. Chemical addictions only make up 30 percent of those who attend Celebrate Recovery; the remaining 70 percent come for recovery from other issues such as anger, abuse, financial recovery, gambling, food addictions, sexual addictions, co-dependency, control and trust issues. More than 700,000 people have completed the program.
For more information, call 837-9703 or email email@example.com.
Courier Publications’ A&E Editor Dagney C. Ernest can be reached at (207) 594-4401, ext. 115 or firstname.lastname@example.org.