Chicken coop fire quickly extinguished

By Beth A. Birmingham | Feb 27, 2014
Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham Member of Thomaston Fire Department finish cutting out smoldering portions of a chicken coop that caught fire Feb. 27 at 395 Beechwood St.

Thomaston — A fire in a small chicken coop at 395 Beechwood St. was extinguished shortly after the call came in at 3 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 27.

According to Thomaston Fire Deputy Chief Mikial Mazzeo, the fire started when a heat lamp tipped over inside the coop.

The flame caught the fire and shavings on fire. The floor and a portion of a wall had to be cut through to extinguish the remaining embers.

The extent of damage was not immediately known. No one was hurt and the chickens were not injured.

The property is owned by Kella River.

Thomaston Fire and Ambulance, along with police responded to the call.

Courier Publications reporter Beth A. Birmingham can be reached at 594-4401 ext. 125 or via email at bbirmingham@courierpublicationsllc.com.

Traffic on Beechwood St. in Thomaston was down to one lane for approximately 45 minutes Thursday, Feb. 27, while emergency crews put out a fire in a small chicken coop. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.

Staff Profile

Beth Birmingham
Staff Reporter
594-4401 ext. 125
Email Me

Beth rejoined Courier Publications' news staff in February 2013. She previously worked at The Courier-Gazette from 1981 to 1990.

Her coverage area includes Warren, Union, Friendship, Waldoboro, Washington, and Thomaston and RSU40.

Beth has a passion for photography, and a degree from the University of Maine at Augusta, in affiliation with the Maine Photographic Workshop in Rockport.

Aside from photography, Beth enjoys running and walks along the waterfront, as well as other outdoor activities. She has a daughter, Claire, who is 14.

Recent Stories by Beth Birmingham