Causes For Wood Smoke in a Room
By Mazzeo's Chimney & Stoves | Sep 05, 2012
- Wood quality: Wood with a lot of moisture can cause more smoke than the chimney can dispose of.
- Air systems like air condition, bathroom or kitchen fans might take their need of air from the chimney (negative draft).
- Operating errors: Always open the damper and primary air control before you reload the stove - open the door slowly.
- Flue pipes: Remember that elbows (90o) and long horizontal flue pipes make restrictions on the draft.
- A chimney that is too short could give insufficient draft for the fireplace.
- A chimney that is too cold can cause none - or negative draft. Flue liner must be correctly connected to the fireplace and the chimney - and have the right dimension.
- Blocked chimney could be caused by a birds nest, soot, or tar.
To read more wood burning advice visit