Camden-Rockport Middle School study readies for next stage
Camden — An architectural study of Camden-Rockport Middle School buildings and grounds remains on schedule.
Oak Point Associates has been tasked to complete the study, which includes analysis of the CRMS site to determine its ongoing suitability as a middle school campus, the development of a new site plan including any proposed facility additions or demolitions, and to assist in developing educational specifications to meet state standards and district needs.
“We are pretty much still collecting data and will do interviews with staff through this month and into the next,” said Keith Rose, head of maintenance for Maine School Administrative District 28. “We plan to hold a public forum in the end of October.”
The entire building has been measured and accurate floor plans have been developed so Oak Point can construct a three-dimensional model. Other pieces of the study in the works are mechanical and electrical fieldwork, elevations and safety components.
Oak Point representatives recommended the district facilities committee consider forming a building committee with members of the community who have a range of backgrounds and experience that would be helpful for the completion of the project.
Part of the SAD 28 budget passed in June was $125,000 to study options to make CRMS more economical to operate and more user-friendly. At the June 19 school board meeting, the search committee recommended Oak Point Associates be awarded the contract.
The original Camden Grade School — now CRMS — was constructed in 1925 and shortly thereafter was renamed Mary E. Taylor School. In 1950, a 1,600-square-foot space was erected to house the school’s gymnasium, lockers and boiler rooms. The next addition was completed in 1955, which contained several classrooms and science labs.
The two buildings were connected in 1962 with the addition of another educational wing between the cafeteria and the gymnasium. This section of the building is known as the Andrews wing. Two more additions were built in the ‘60s, including the industrial arts wing, and in 1980 the mini-gym and additional classrooms were added.
In 2000, four other major projects were completed. Those projects included a second 2,400-square-foot connector between the Andrews wing and the gymnasium. An elevator was installed in this connector and old locker rooms were converted into storage space. New locker rooms were built on the gymnasium level where a stage used to be.
Courier Publications reporter Dwight Collins can be reached at 236-8511 or by email at email@example.com.
Dwight Collins is a reporter/photographer for The Camden Herald.
(207) 236-8511 ext. 303
Recent Stories by Dwight Collins
Nov 25, 2013
Nov 24, 2013
Nov 22, 2013
Nov 21, 2013
Nov 19, 2013