Broad Cove Market fire deemed accidental

By Dan Otis Smith | Apr 21, 2017
Photo by: Linda Hall-Stone An interior view of the Broad Cove Market in Cushing following an April 16 fire.

Cushing — A fire that caused serious damage to the interior of Cushing’s Broad Cove Market April 16 is considered to have been accidental, according to Sgt. Ken Grimes, investigator with the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Grimes said the fire originated near the bathroom, in the area of the water pump, and appeared to have been caused by an electrical malfunction.

Reached by phone April 20, owner Edwynna Crute said she had no immediate plans, but that the store would be closed indefinitely. Crute said she was just working through insurance issues right now and was taking things one day at a time.

The Easter fire, which drew a response from four towns’ fire departments, caused what Cushing Fire Chief Arthur Kiskila called “extensive” damage to the store. He said the grocery area was left largely destroyed.

Fighting the fire also involved cutting a hole to extinguish burning in the eaves of the building and breaking windows to release smoke from inside.

Crute bought and renovated the store in 2011. The building has been there since 1889, run for generations by the Fales family as the "Fales Store," situated at Broad Cove. Prior to that, a Fales Store had been located at Pleasant Point on Cushing Harbor.

Reporter Dan Otis Smith can be reached at 594-4401 x123 or by email at dsmith@villagesoup.com.

Comments (1)
Posted by: Sonja Sleeper | Apr 21, 2017 11:22

Sorry to hear the news, only store in town.

 



If you wish to comment, please login.