Aurora Lodge announces 2014 officers
Rockland — Aurora Lodge was formed by members of Orient Lodge , Thomaston, and was chartered by the Grand Lodge on July 13,1826. The name was proposed to honor the Greek goddess of the dawn, "that radiant messenger who opened the gates of the East that the Sun God in his chariot might drive up onto the sky. The Lodge experienced a period of growth from 1844 until 1867 when it was the largest lodge in the state, a distinction which it enjoyed for 18 of the next 20 years.
The lodge home moved several times, and in 1872 it was located in the H. G. Berry block on the corner of Main and Limerock streets. That year it suffered a disastrous fire, which resulted in the loss of the charter, records and regalia. After a short time in temporary quarters, the Lodge moved to the Cobb-Berry block at 407 Main St. where it remained for 38 years. On March 1, 1911, the Lodge again moved to a new temple in the remodeled Farwell Opera House which is the site of the present temple. On Feb. 24, 1940, the building was destroyed by fire. One year later , on the anniversary of the fire, the present temple was dedicated by the Grand Lodge of Maine.
On Oct. 11, 1854, 15 masons signed a petition, 14 of them appearing on the rolls of Aurora Lodge, seeking to form a second Lodge in Rockland. On Oct. 31, 1854, a Lodge of Master Masons was opened in due form under a dispensation from Grand Master Timothy Chase. On July 28, 1855, Rockland Lodge No. 79 was Constituted by the Grand Master. The new Lodge was to share joint occupancy with Aurora Lodge and King Solomon's Chapter.
On March 13, 1872, "A terrible conflagration occurred at 2 o'clock this morning, by which the block in which is our Masonic Hall was nearly destroyed, and our Lodge room, regalia, furniture, and fixtures perished in the flames. We lost the Charter, but the records being at the home of the secretary were thereby saved." In the fire of 1940, Rockland Lodge was more fortunate than the other bodies, for the Lodge Secretary's records were in the safe and suffered only smoke damage. Unfortunately, during the last half of the 20th century, Rockland Lodge's numbers began to dwindle and the Lodge suffered; therefore, on Sept. 27, 2006, Rockland Lodge No. 79 consolidated with Aurora Lodge No. 50 from which it had originally separated.
If interested learning more about Masonry, contact Floyd Montgomery, 596-6200.