Family displaced, dog dies in Rockland fire
Rockland — A small appliance in the kitchen area is to blame for a fire at 337 Pleasant St. that brought Rockland Fire and Emergency Medical Services crews to the scene at 3:06 p.m. March 11.
The family dog died of smoke inhalation, despite having CPR and oxygen administered by fire personnel.
The initial report indicated the fire originated in the attic, according to Assistant Fire Chief Mikial Mazzeo. However, upon arrival on the scene it was discovered the appliance had caught fire in the kitchen and burned up through the ceiling.
The residence received extensive damage to the kitchen, and smoke and water damage throughout rendering it not habitable for renters David and Carrie Johnson — who were not home at the time of the fire. The single-family duplex is owned by Don Fowles, who lives next door.
Crews were on the scene for two hours, according to Mazzeo.
Rockland Police Department also responded to the scene.
Courier Publications reporter Beth A. Birmingham can be reached at 594-4401 ext. 125 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
594-4401 ext. 125
Beth rejoined Courier Publications' news staff in February 2013. She previously worked at The Courier-Gazette from 1981 to 1990.
Her coverage area includes Warren, Union, Friendship, Waldoboro, Washington, and Thomaston and RSU40.
Beth has a passion for photography, and a degree from the University of Maine at Augusta, in affiliation with the Maine Photographic Workshop in Rockport.
Aside from photography, Beth enjoys running and walks along the waterfront, as well as other outdoor activities. She has a daughter, Claire, who is 14.
Recent Stories by Beth Birmingham
Nov 26, 2014
Nov 25, 2014
Nov 24, 2014
Nov 21, 2014
Nov 21, 2014