Archival photos, more for January

Jan 11, 2013
The Lake City Hotel was a popular destination near Barrett’s Cove on Megunticook Lake in Camden. Travelers on the old Turnpike Road (now Route 52) could dine or stay here overnight, enjoying the cool air and expansive views of the lake.

Camden — In celebration of Camden Public Library’s annual Discover History Month during January, the library is exhibiting archival photographs, objects and maps from the collection of its Walsh History Center.

Historical photos from Lincolnville, Camden and Rockport show the industry of bygone days, in particular the fishing, shipping, quarrying, lime and ice industries. There also is a display of kitchen gadgetry from centuries past, provided by the Camden-Rockport Historical Society.

Courier Publications’ A&E Editor Dagney C. Ernest can be reached at (207) 594-4401, ext. 115 or dernest@courierpublicationsllc.com.

An historical photo documents quarrying limerock at Jacob’s Quarry, circa 1890.
English charts of the Penobscot were “Published according to an Act of Parliament, Augst 17th 1776.”
Rockport Harbor ice sheds are pictured about 1898. The ice and lime industries in Rockport were destroyed in 1907 when a fire at the lime kilns swept across the harbor to the ice sheds, where ice was packed for storage in sawdust. This caught fire, burning so quickly the sheds were destroyed while leaving the ice blocks relatively intact. Ships tied at the docks were burnt to the waterline.
Heather Bilodeau is pictured with a primitive cast-iron food processor, part of the display of kitchen implements on loan from the Camden Rockport Historical Society.
An 1866 cookbook titled “What to Eat and How to Cook It Containing Over One Thousand Receipts [sic]” offers an intriguing recipe.
The steamship Katahdin is pictured circa 1880 moored at the Eastern Steamship Company wharf at the end of Sea Street in Camden. Beginning with the Maine in 1823, the steamships (known locally as “the Boston boat”) carried goods and passengers from Boston up the coast to Bangor with many stops in between. During the frigid winter of 1917, Penobscot Bay froze over and people could walk from Lincolnville to Islesboro on the ice. Eight steamers were stranded for days in Camden harbor. The final trip was made by the Belfast on December 27, 1935. Deemed a hazard to navigation, the steamship wharf was burned in 1959.
Comments (1)
Posted by: Wayne Keiderling | Jan 15, 2013 12:06

The stone foundation and remains of a huge steel boiler from the Lake city hotel can still be seen in the woods ,a short walk from the road around the lake front. Jack williams of camden took me to this site a few years ago.



If you wish to comment, please login.