All smoke, no fire at Knox County Jail
Rockland — Firefighters were called to the Knox County Jail just after 2 p.m. on Oct. 31 in response to a report of smoke in the booking area of the facility.
According to Rockland Fire Chief Charles Jordon Jr., firefighters encountered a "light smoke condition," which Assistant Chief Adam Micelli subsequently reported was likely due to a short circuit in a turnstile fan switch.
No inmates were moved during the incident.
Asst. Chief Micelli described the jail as a "defending facility," and said that during a more serious situation inmates and staff can be moved into an appropriate section of the building without compromising safety of inmates, jail workers, or the general public.
"There's a good chance they would never be in danger and still be in the building," Micelli said, adding that the jail's access-controlled doors are "kind of a firefighter's nightmare."
Contractor B.C. Electric of Owls Head was called in to assess the situation after firefighters ensured the scene was safe.
Courier Publications reporter Bane Okholm can be reached at 594-4401 ext. 125 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.